Monticello: any reason to write .mcv files with CR line endings?

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Thu Jul 24 21:56:54 UTC 2003

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Ned Konz wrote:

> Since there shouldn't be any problems reading in .mcv files regardless
> of line endings, wouldn't it make sense to use a MCFile rather than a
> StandardFileStream to file them out? You'd then have new files
> written in the native format, and maintain line endings on others.

MCFile had a somewhat more complicated purpose - to make sure that
you write out a new version of a file with the same line endings that it
had when you read it in.

.mcv files are immutable - you don't write out a new version of the same
file, you write out a new file.  So this requirement doesn't apply.

If what you want is for .mcv files to have native line endings, you could
just read/write them with CrLfFileStream instead of StandardFileStream.
This is a somewhat contentious issue, though, as recent threads have
shown.  My general feeling is that Monticello should be a good Squeak
citizen in this regard and use whatever is set as the #concreteStream;
anyone doing a grep etc from the command line (which is the only time this
would really matter, emacs + co. do fine with CR) is probably savvy enough
to pass the file through a CR->LF filter first anyway.

Avi