The move to gamma

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Fri Jul 25 04:00:51 UTC 2003

On Thursday, July 24, 2003, at 04:09 PM, Daniel Vainsencher wrote:

> I propose we declare first Thursday of September (5.9.2003) our new
> release target, with august 29th for the move to gamma, giving us an
> additional month of beta. Considering that we're still doing reworks on
> contexts and the network rewrite, I think that's reasonable.
>
> A lot of base stuff has improved in this version, it won't hurt us to
> take a little more time to stabilize it. It will also give more time
> for
> people to actually switch to be using the beta, so we'll have more
> people testing it.

This sounds like a good idea.  Although the original plan called for 2
weeks for gamma, which I think would still probably be a good balance,
since we're stretching out the beta by quite a bit.  So, that would be
August 22nd for gamma.  (although I don't feel really strongly about
this)

Hmm, if we postpone the gamma this far, we may want to open 3.7alpha
earlier than the 22nd/29th so that the various enhancements that have
been posted don't "rot" for too long.  Although I suppose they won't
really rot that much since the fixes going into the beta image are
typically much smaller changes than the stuff that goes into an alpha
image.

Also, we might consider whether we want to adjust the schedule for
3.7beta/gamma/final to be more like what we're doing for 3.6.

- Doug