The move to gamma

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch
Fri Jul 25 11:36:06 UTC 2003

Doug Way wrote:

> On Thursday, July 24, 2003, at 04:09 PM, Daniel Vainsencher wrote:
>
>> I propose we declare first Thursday of September (5.9.2003) our new
>> release target, with august 29th for the move to gamma, giving us an
>> additional month of beta. Considering that we're still doing reworks on
>> contexts and the network rewrite, I think that's reasonable.
[snip]
> This sounds like a good idea.  Although the original plan called for 2
> weeks for gamma, which I think would still probably be a good balance,
> since we're stretching out the beta by quite a bit.  So, that would be
> August 22nd for gamma.  (although I don't feel really strongly about this)
>
> Hmm, if we postpone the gamma this far, we may want to open 3.7alpha
> earlier than the 22nd/29th so that the various enhancements that have
> been posted don't "rot" for too long.

I would think as well that opening 3.7alpha earlier is a good thing.

There are people who like to live in an
alpha environment more or less the whole time, while others prefer
a beta or gamma environment. Otherwise you risk that the beta
becomes 'alpha' in fact, as to heavy changes may go in. Beta
is a feature freeze (this includes refactoring!). Only bug fixes
should go in.

Hannes