Q: Squeak and scientific applications

Jon Hylands jon at huv.com
Sat Jul 26 15:21:10 UTC 2003

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 16:10:54 +0200, Stephane Ducasse <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch>
wrote:

> Try 10000 factorial in squeak

I ran a little test at work yesterday, between my laptop (1 GHz P3) and my
work desktop (930 MHz P3). I was running Squeak 3.4 on my laptop, VisualAge
5.52 on the desktop.

Evaluating the following:

Time millisecondsToRun: [10000 factorial]

consistently took slightly less than 2 seconds on my laptop in Squeak, and
it consistently took around 6 seconds on the desktop running VA.

I guess all that primitive LargeInteger support pays off for stuff like
this...

Later,
Jon