Q: Squeak and scientific applications

Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus schwa at cc.gatech.edu
Sat Jul 26 22:01:28 UTC 2003

On Sat, Jul 26, 2003 at 10:12:34AM -0700, Tim Rowledge wrote:

> > Another excellent resource is Ned Konz's web page on writing plugins:
> > http://bike-nomad.com/squeak/writingPlugins.html
> This is very nice doc - I hope it's pointed to from sensible places
> on the swiki.

I spent a bit of time bringing http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/464
up to date, including adding a link to Ned's tutorial.

> The code will need minor tweaking to live cleanly with the
> rename of TestInterpreterPlugin to SmartSyntaxInterpreterPlugin sometime
> before 3.7.

I don't know if you have to remove TestInterpreterPlugin at the beginning
of the 3.7 cycle.  Why not let it be deprecated, and remove it around the
time of 3.7 final?

Speaking of renaming parts of the code generation apparatus, what about
renaming #initialiseModule to #initializeModule to match the spelling
in the rest of the image?  I was pulling out hair for a while trying to
figure out why my plugin wasn't being initialized.

> Oh and I noticed a neat little trick regarding fooling the
> compiler about 'unused' variables in Andy Greenberg's RePlugin code
> that probably ought to be reified for wider use; a little method called
> #touch:.

Cool.  Thanks.

Joshua