3.6 "full" packages

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Mon Jul 28 14:01:06 UTC 2003

On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 03:17:34PM +0200, Andreas Raab wrote:
> > I think you are wrong: If you do a .st fileout of a monticello
> > package, people can install it very simple by filing it in.
>
> Well, yeah, that's point a) but you didn't get my other point. I'll give you
> an example: Josh every now and then fiddles with some of the stuff in B3D,
> e.g. he changes things in various places. Since he is a developer he
> certainly wants to keep his changes around while - at the same time - being
> able to get updates on any other of the changes that happen in "B3D land".
> If he gets that .st file then - unless I am mistaken - it will simply throw
> away any changes that he's made regardless of whether he has MC installed or
> not (that was my question). The same (for example) for me when I do VM stuff
> and Tim updates VMMaker.

Ok... yes, I didn't think about that...

DVS solved this by using a .st compatible format... (actually a subset).

Hmm.. we could come up with a tool to convert such a .st to a .mcv file.
We could have a minimal .mcv reader in the image, with all the problems
described in your other mail.

Or we could simply stuff both .mcv and .st in the SAR, and then have the
SAR-Installer automatically do the right thing (use monticello if it is
installed).

   Marcus

--
Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de  -- Squeak! http://squeak.de