3.6 "full" packages

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Mon Jul 28 15:36:29 UTC 2003

Hi michael

> Just a cautious reminder from the module disaster:
>
> back at OOPSLA one of the main points was to "never" put a packaging
> system into the base system again for all the reasons in the above
> discussion.
>
> The ability of Ginsu and Monticello to deal with a semantic model
> without loading the code first still needs to know where the code
> originally came from. So how would a generic attributation of the
> standard file out format work?
>
> Assuming you don't want to extend something like the timestamp method.

I think that this assumption should not hold. If we could have a good
declarative fileout format
(covering GlobalDefinition, ClassDefinition....) this would be great to
do it the right way. So
may changing a bit the system is not that a problem ;). The chunk
format is not complete...this is a problem for analyzing code without
installing it.

Stef