squeak graphic: technical introduction

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Mon Jul 28 16:13:04 UTC 2003

Am Montag, 28.07.03 um 11:19 Uhr schrieb Hannes Hirzel:

> Hi Andreas
>
> Andreas Raab wrote:
>>> I'm looking for a technical introduction to the squeak graphic
>>> subsystems: balloon and balloon3d.  [...]
>>> Maybe there is some guide?
>> Well, the best you can do is to read up in some general graphics text
>> book
>> as the stuff in there is essentially right out of the books.
>
> Which book (or books) are you thinking of in particular?

The canonical reference book still is "Computer Graphics: Principles
and Practice" by Foley, van Dam, Feiner, and Hughes.

Of course, this explains only the grand scheme. It depends on exactly
how deep you want to dig into Balloon and Ballon3D. On the very core
you have an optimized scan line renderer which was able to compete well
with the best software rasterizers out there a couple of years ago,
written in plain C. But I doubt that the inner workings of this are
written down anywhere except the source code.

-- Bert