Removing PWS from the Full release

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Mon Jul 28 17:11:05 UTC 2003

We've talked about this for awhile, so now it's time to do it.  As far
as I know, the PWS (PluggableWebServer) package has been made obsolete
by newer packages such as Comanche.  Also, it hasn't been maintained
much, and all the methods are on the class side making it not a very
good example of OO code.

Note that we're not simply talking about removing it from the current
image (as has been done with Balloon3D, Scamper, etc.), we want to also
remove it from the list of "Squeak Official" packages so that it's no
longer part of the Full release.  So it would be basically unsupported,
unless someone individually wants to become the maintainer.

Before removing PWS as a "Squeak Official" package, though, I thought
I'd send out this notice to see if anyone strongly objected.  However,
please note that if you object to this, you are also registering an
interest in maintaining the PWS package yourself. :-)

I suppose we could have the Guides vote on this, but if there's no one
out there who thinks the package should stay as Squeak Official, there's
not much reason to have a vote.

Also, could someone who is subscribed to the Pws mailing list forward
this message to that list?

- Doug Way