Monticello should have some UI extension hooks

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Mon Jul 28 19:20:24 UTC 2003

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, Daniel Vainsencher wrote:

> I think Monticello could be a good base on which to hang various package
> level code management functions. Currently, since the browser don't
> recognize packages, there's nowhere to put them.
>
> I'm talking about things like the "recover related code from that
> changeset" feature I sent it back then, but also about external stuff
> like "use MudPie to visualize this package". I'm sure you have your own
> tools that are just begging to have something like that.

Really, it's that PackageInfo should have these hooks, and any UI that
deals with packages (of which Monticello is the main current example)
should honor them.

Although your recovery code did get committed into the Monticello package
recently, it really belongs in PackageInfo-Extras.  If we had a
PackageInfo based UI registry, that would be more feasible to do.

I should also point out that although Monticello currently is used with a
1-1 relation between an MCPackage instance and a PackageInfo instance,
this doesn't need to always be the case - you could version any other
notion of package that you could build suitable definitions for.