3.6 "full" packages

Michael Rueger m.rueger at acm.org
Mon Jul 28 21:36:42 UTC 2003

goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:

> 2. Why XML? I know quite a lot about XML and I ask why? Two reasons
> against:

The main reason for XML:

 > particular reason? I used "self" so that I could easily evaluate the
 > chunks for another object with a different implementation of the

In the current formats you either need to evaluate expressions or
simulate the evaluation (parse a dialect specific programming language
expression) to get to the information.

You can very easily ignore tags that you don't need or understand.

You can use XSLT (or any other transformation) to generate whatever you
like. Take a look at the Rosetta project for examples.

You get multi-lingual character encoding for free.

If you don't use some of the more bizarre features of XML like entity
declaration and inline substitution you can use an extremely simple parser.

And because of the evaluation overhead involved in the current chunk
format I wouldn't be sure if a carefully design XML based format
wouldn't even be faster to parse than the chunk format.

Michael