crashes with Ballon3D (was: accelerated OpenGL on linux/nvidia (crash))

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Mon Jul 28 22:29:38 UTC 2003

"Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:

> There's another possibility, though. I found on Windows that under some
> circumstances (which I could never figure out completely) the FPU flags get
> changed to signal exceptions instead of silently over/underflowing.
Good grief, this surely can't still be a problem in Windows; we (as in
PPS, in particular Jan Bottorff, Daniel Lanovaz & I) found this
afflicting VW back in 93 or there abouts. Certain library calls (all vis
dlls IIRC) would change the FPU flags and _not restore them_ on return.
Wham, bang, floating pint arithmetic goes weird on you. I suppose it
might be worth emailing Eliot to ask if an answer was ever found.

tim
Useful random insult:- Runs squares around the competition.