Q: looking up ip global IP address from inside LAN

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Tue Jul 29 14:38:14 UTC 2003

>>>>> "Justin" == Justin Holzer <justin at ptctraining.com> writes:

Justin> Say for example, I have cable modem service, and have several
Justin> machines sharing this connection via a store-bought broadband
Justin> router. Now say I'm running squeak on one of the networked
Justin> machines, ie. 192.168.1.1.

Justin> Is it possible for me to get the global IP address of my cable
Justin> modem, ie 216.109.125.71, without having to send a packet
Justin> outside of my local network?

Well, without that final restriction, there are hosts out there
(something like my-ip-is.com, but I can't remember the name) that will
give you back a web page that contains your "public" IP in a fairly
extractable fashion.