Why whole system dumps to image?

Jens Pall jens at axonspace.com
Tue Jul 29 21:56:40 UTC 2003

Hi

I'm fairly new to Smalltalk and Squeak and I like what I have seen so far.
But there is one thing I've been wondering about and that's the image file.
The notion of having to dump the _whole_ system if I want to keep my state
seems to me just plain dumb (sorry) :). Is this an artifact of piggybacking
on a host OS? Some sort of versioning system with branches like CVS seems
more appropriate, or some kind of database.

Maybe you have already discussed this and maybe changing the system is just
too hard so, please, if that's the case, just tell me to keep my mouth shut;
the list is already too busy with other more (I presume) important things.

Cheers,
Jens