Why whole system dumps to image?

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Tue Jul 29 22:49:24 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 29 July 2003 02:56 pm, Jens Pall wrote:

> I'm fairly new to Smalltalk and Squeak and I like what I have seen
> so far. But there is one thing I've been wondering about and that's
> the image file. The notion of having to dump the _whole_ system if
> I want to keep my state seems to me just plain dumb (sorry) :). Is
> this an artifact of piggybacking on a host OS? Some sort of
> versioning system with branches like CVS seems more appropriate, or
> some kind of database.

Well, state includes more than source code. You can get a lot done in
Squeak without ever writing Smalltalk.

We do have (several) different strategies for source-code management;
the most promising (and probably most popular) is Monticello. This
lets you use CVS as a storage medium (get the MonticelloCVS package
too), or even a directory that then gets snapshot files stuck in it,
or an HTTP repository server.

And then we have the ability to save, publish, and share entire
projects: all the objects in a project (including all the source code
changes in its current change set if you want).

> Maybe you have already discussed this and maybe changing the system
> is just too hard so, please, if that's the case, just tell me to
> keep my mouth shut; the list is already too busy with other more (I
> presume) important things.

Search the archives for "Monticello" and/or CVS.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com