[ANN] SqueakMap 1.08

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Wed Jul 30 00:15:46 UTC 2003

Hi all!

Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 July 2003 03:55 pm, goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:
> > > I don't think that it's appropriate or necessary to load the DVS
> > > package with SqueakMap any more.
> >
> > Hmmm, well there are quite a lot of apps using it:
> > http://map1.squeakfoundation.org/sm/category/b02f51f4-25b4-4117-9b6
> >5-f34 6215a8e41
>
> Yes, there are. But you don't need DVS to load its packages, unless
> you want to be clever about diffs (this is what the SARInstaller

And you want that. Especially when a new release comes out with for
example method removals in it.

> tries to do: if DVS is present, then it will just load the diffs
> between the version of the package that you have already in your
> image and the version you're loading, so you can see in a single
> change set what the delta was).
>
> The new SARInstaller will tell you if you try to load a (possibly) DVS
> file and you don't have DVS in your image; it will then give you a
> choice of installing DVS or not.

Yes, but that only solves it for .sar files not DVS .st files.

> Either way, the package gets loaded and registered with PackageInfo.
>
> It really should only say something if you have a pre-existing version
> of the package in your image *and* you don't have DVS. I will change
> this.
>
> > PS. Ned, you need to change noteInstalledPackage:version: to
> > noteInstalledPackageWithId:version: in your SARInstaller
> > postscripts. Sorry, can't help the API change. Otherwise the
> > installation will not get properly logged.
>
> Ah. Will do. Wonder if I need to do something for backwards
> compatibility.

I don't think so - I think I have covered all bases on that.

I did find out the problem about installedPackages (installing SqueakMap
Base twice messed it up, bad postscript) and have now also written a
slick
scan-the-changelog-for-installation-notes-to-rebuild-the-dictionary-with
-proper-sequence-numbers-method. :-)

It seems to work but I haven't activated that method call anywhere yet.
Check class side of SMSqueakMap.

regards, Göran

PS. If sequence numbers pop up counting from -9999 and upwards that is
because of either:
a) The scan found old installation notes without stamp/number. Starts
those from -10000 to ensure correct ordering.
b) Postscripts still use the old noteInstalledPackage:version: call
which will have the same effect because that is in fact the method being
logged in the ChangeLog.

regards, Göran

PS. Daniel - if you are reading this: Take a look at the method
mentioned above SMSqueakMap class>>recreateYaddaYadda... It should
produce a proper sequence for your load scripts.