Help for Christopher Alexander in S.E. England

Richard Pawson rpawsonatnakedobjects.org
Thu Jul 31 18:31:32 UTC 2003

Christopher Alexander, author of 'A Pattern Language', wants to write a
simulation to demonstrate the ideas in his new series of books 'The Nature
of Order' (the first volume is out, and truly outstanding).  I have
persuaded him that Squeak is the right language to do it in and he's hooked.
Chris has not programmed for some years (though he is a mathematician,
originally) and needs some tutorial help on the basics of the language.

He'd like to find a fluent Squeaker who'd give him a few hours of voluntary
time.  Chris is currently living on the South coast of the UK (West Sussex).
The ideal would be a grad student in Southampton or Portsmouth Universities.
(Anyone know of any Squeakers there I could contact directly?) If this
doesn't work, someone on the end of a phone would be acceptable.

This is an opportunity to meet and interact with one of the world's greatest
contemporary thinkers.  I'm sure we can help him out.  (I've offered my help
on the OO design side, but I'm not a sufficiently fluent programmer to give
him the basics he needs at the beginning.)  Just to make it clear, he wants
to write the simulation himself, this is not an attempt to get someone to
write it for him.

If you can help, or know any contacts who might, please get back to me
directly and I'll put you in touch with him.

Richard Pawson