Wget and HTTPSocket

Brent Vukmer bvukmer at blackboard.com
Tue Jun 3 17:45:53 UTC 2003

My recent Squeak work has done a lot of downloading via HTTP, hitting
the swiki.gsug.org server.  My impression is that HTTPSocket is not very
robust for handling situations where it should retry a request; I
routinely find that loading about a hundred URLs is enough to create an
error within Squeak.  In contrast, wget handles retries with no problem
and downloads documents really fast from the GSUG website.   Right now
for the sake of not going crazy during development, I am using wget to
update a local email .txt file repository and then loading from there.

Am I missing something?  I'd really like my project ( the Bug Fixes
Archive viewer ) to be able to update its list via HTTP, within Squeak.
Would using Flow or the network rewrite that's on SqueakMap help me?