fonts and unicode (esp. Devanagari)

Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Wed Jun 4 13:33:02 UTC 2003

  Darius,

> The only requirements for the use of Arabic text would be to display text in
> content, text in navigation menus, storing short text notes to oneself about
> the content, copy/paste text, and sending e-mails with Arabic text for customer
> support. (Are e-mail addresses in Arabic too?)
>
> I'm evaluating the best technologies for the job now.

  In m17n Squeak, it will not going to be trivial.  You can store the
data as string of bits; however you need the right font, the
composited character handling including R2L rendering, which is only
partially done, write the logic which maps the character insertion
point to the logical text index, etc.

  If you know what to do, it would be two weeks task to add the above
to the existing m17n framework, if I estimate.

-- Yoshiki