Final 3.6 Plan

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Wed Jun 4 19:33:46 UTC 2003

Summary of plan as released + agreements that came afterwards -
1 Removals
2 KCP
3 MCP
4 Anthony runtime enhancements (split in two - fixes and closures)
5 Craig's simulator fixes
6 mir Network rewrite
7 TrueTypeTextStyle
8 Diego look style enhancements
9 Replace fonts with AccuFonts (mainly in order to remove the old -
people can now load additional nice fonts themselves anyway).
10 SM 1.1
11 Inclusion of SM plus related packages in the release image (though
maintained as packages, not directly by update stream).

1 is done. 2 has completed initial step, they have more changes in the
pipe line, and are looking for reviewers for that. 3's initial step is
done, approved, and harvested.

I'm for including the fixes in 4 right now. I recall someone did run
benchmarks with the closures + VM patches, but can't find the mail. Can
someone refresh our memory? I would really want to have closure
semantics.

I suggest we do 9 right now.

Michael recently rereleased 6 and had gotten some comments. Michael,
anyone, knows where exactly this stuff stands?

5, 7, 8 - does anyone know give an update on each of these? whether
they've passed some review, testing, work in 3.6a ... the usual. BTW, do
we have a test for the simulator? sounds like something that deserves a
few tests.

I know 10 is being worked on hard, and I think some concensus was
reached about 11, but am not sure if Gorans decided, and if so, whether
we're waiting with it for 10 or not.

Daniel