Final 3.6 Plan

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Wed Jun 4 22:02:40 UTC 2003

Daniel Vainsencher <danielv at netvision.net.il> wrote:

> Summary of plan as released + agreements that came afterwards -
> 1 Removals
> 2 KCP
> 3 MCP
> 4 Anthony runtime enhancements (split in two - fixes and closures)
> 5 Craig's simulator fixes
> 6 mir Network rewrite
> 7 TrueTypeTextStyle
> 8 Diego look style enhancements
> 9 Replace fonts with AccuFonts (mainly in order to remove the old -
> people can now load additional nice fonts themselves anyway).
> 10 SM 1.1
> 11 Inclusion of SM plus related packages in the release image (though
> maintained as packages, not directly by update stream).

[snip]
> I'm for including the fixes in 4 right now. I recall someone did run
> benchmarks with the closures + VM patches, but can't find the mail. Can
> someone refresh our memory? I would really want to have closure
> semantics.
The primitive support is in the VMcode package right now. I don't think
there has been anywhere near enough testing and benchmarking etc of the
rest of it to be able to decide on incluging the image changes. I spent
some time debugging and reporting problems a while ago and it basically
works. The biggest obstacle IIRC is the use of SmaCC and licensing.

> I suggest we do 9 right now.
Ditto. We know it works, it voids a license issue and let's just damn od
it.

> Michael recently rereleased 6 and had gotten some comments. Michael,
> anyone, knows where exactly this stuff stands?
And what about the file related stuff that apparently exists?

tim
Strange OpCodes: PHP: Put Hackers into Privileged mode