Sharp SL-C750/760 (was Re: HP Jornada 545)

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Thu Jun 5 05:20:54 UTC 2003

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003 Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM wrote:

> For what it's worth ( about an extra $100 US, I guess) Dynamism has the
> SL-C760, which is basically the same machine with an 8 hour battery
> instead of a 4 hour battery, and it's all silver instead of silver &
> black.  It's the first thing I've seen in a while that might possibly make
> an acceptable substitute for my Psion 5mx.

I must admit, the new C7x0 machines look hugely tempting.  However, before
buying one to substitute for your Psion 5mx, make sure to try one out in
person first.  It may be impossible, depending on who you know and where
they are.

I have a machine with a similar "spirit" as the Psion series, and I prize
the keyboard as a feature on the machine.  The Jornada 720, as I've
probably mentioned 100 times in too many threads.  I was hoping to have
one of these new C7x0 machines replace both my Jornada 720 and my Newton,
but I don't think it could do either.  For someone used to a real keyboard
ala recent Psions or Jornada 7x0, the C7x0 is a huge let down.  It isn't
the kind of keyboard on which you can touch type- it's a slightly more
spaced out thumboard.   I was darn close to selling a couple oirgans and
buying one, but was very lucky to find a friend of a friend who had one
and was willing to give me some time to play with it one day.  I about
cried right there (well, not really)- such a nice machine, yet just a
couple centimeters from being just right.  Keyboard was a huge
disapointment, although it improves on the even more disapointing SL-5x00
series in almost every other way...

Regards,
Aaron