Serial Ports on OS-X

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Jun 5 18:24:43 UTC 2003

Well I've not confirmation of that. However I ask the IOKit for the
serial device drivers and their paths.
With that I get back

/dev/tty.IrDA-IrCOMMch-b
/dev/tty.modem

Then we issue open(), read(), write(), ioctl(), tcsetattr() etc on the
file descriptor.

Therefore if your USB emulates a serial device then it should be
supported. I've not looked but
I think the modem in the powerbook is really a USB device? No?

Right now my testing has been limited to the powerbook internal modem
(osx), an 8600 (osx & os9)
which has real rs422 ports that I used to talk to an rs232 port on a
intel box via a null modem,
also to a standalone 28.8kb modem.

On Thursday, June 5, 2003, at 02:23  AM, Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> On 04/06/03 21:03, "John M McIntosh" <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Over the last week or so I've been working on an enhanced serial port
>> class that allows one to
>> alter serial port attributes on the fly, access rs232c pin
>> information,
>> plus invoke all sorts of extended
>> commands, abuse the unix termios and ioctl interface, and the
>> macintosh
>> device control call.
>
> John, I just curious if your code work for USB ports.
> Actual Macs not longer have RS422 / 232 ports.
>
> Cheers.
> Edgar

===