[BUG] FileDirectory>>exists

Stephen Pair stephen at pairhome.net
Fri Jun 6 13:03:35 UTC 2003

Hi John,

I still haven't got a Mac machine for testing purposes, but with
Comanche 6.1 there is still a lingering issue on the Mac VM.  I put a
work around in for the #exists issue and that fixed file serving in
Comanche 6.1, but I've gotten reports that auto generated directory
indexes cause the server to go into some sort of infinite loop.  The
problem can be observed if you install Comanche 6.1 (it's KomHttpServer
on SqueakMap), start a basic file server (see the class comments in
KomHttpServerInfo and evaluate the first example), and then point your
browser to http://localhost:8080/ ...this should get you an auto
generated listing of the files in your Squeak default directory
(provided that you don't have an index.htm or index.html file in that
directory), but on the Mac I think it goes into an infinite loop (at
least with the older VM).  It works on Windows and Linux.

If you wanted to debug it, you might want to drop the priority level of
the httpd service using:

    (Service serviceNamed: 'httpd')
       stop;
       priority: Processor userBackgroundPriority;
       start

The problem seems like it is most likely happening in:
ModAutoIndex>>directoryListing:directory:

Anyway, I'm curious if this problem is still occurring in your latest
VM, and if there might be a work around or VM fix that might get this
working consistently across all platforms.  If you don't have the time,
don't worry about it...I'm hoping that I can get an old Mac for testing
purposes in the next couple of weeks.

BTW, do you happen to have an old OS9 system CD that you'd be willing to
part with?  I've located a Mac that I can get on loan (from Joshua), but
he's lost his system CDs.

- Stephen

--
- Stephen