font question

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Fri Jun 6 15:35:20 UTC 2003

On Friday 06 June 2003 12:04 am, Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed that the font size for EToy tiles is specified by
> StandardScriptingSystem>>fontForTiles, which specifies an 18 point
> font.  However, the font returned has a #pointSize of 12.  The same
> font is also obtained from the font menu of a TextMorph by choosing
> the 12pt version.
>
> This seems to be true for quite a number of fonts.  Eg: StrikeFont
> familyName: #NewYork size: 24 yields a point size of 18.

18 points = 24 pixels at 92 pixels/inch?

> Is this really the nonsense that it appears to be?  If not, is
> anyone feeling brave enough to try to enlighten me?

There is considerable confusion between points and pixels in the
image. Add to that the fact that the display resolution is in general
unknown, and that there are only a few specific sizes of bitmap
fonts, and throw in uncertainties caused by various importers that
make guesses about dpi to pixel conversions, and it's a mess.

We could *really* stand a better way to specify fonts. Anyone know
anything about how hard Panose would be to do?

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com