Final 3.6 Plan

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Fri Jun 6 19:06:29 UTC 2003

goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:

>Doug Way <dway at riskmetrics.com> wrote:
>

>>OK, I will do this first, by simply including the current bootstrap as
>>an update, as we discussed earlier.  Then the Accufonts and then other
>>items as they become ready.
>>

>Note that if you do it this way we are also letting SAR, DVS and
>PackageInfo into the ... Basic image.
>
>I am still a tad confused which "image" the update stream is producing -
>Basic, right? I have forgotten why I was confused earlier... Ah, wait.
>Right, perhaps the confusion was precisely because SM/DVS/SAR wasn't in
>there... He, he... good argument for getting them in then. ;-) Ok
>confusion gone. The update stream is now producing the Basic image.
>Period. Ok?

Yep, sounds good.  I think this is a better idea anyway than having an
image halfway between Full and Minimal which is lacking some of the
"Basic" tools that make life easier. :-)

>Back to DVS/PackageInfo/SAR - including them is good IMHO, but perhaps
>Avi and Ned should have a saying if they want those packages to become
>"official Squeak packages" in Basic. :-)

I also think it's good to have these in the image at this stage.

My only minor concern with installing the SM "bootstrap" as an update is
that this installs a "moving target" of sorts... e.g. someone updating
their 3.6alpha-5248 image today will get a different result than someone
updating a 3.6alpha-5248 image two months from now, because one or more
of the SM/DVS/SAR packages will change during that time.  Updates have
always been constant in the past.  (I think.)  If there were a trivial
way to include the current SM/DVS/SAR files directly as update
changesets, while also tricking the image into thinking that it loaded
them as packages, that would be nice. :-)  If it's not that simple,
though, the bootstrap is fine... I don't think the moving target problem
is really that big a deal.

Either way I will add SM & company Real Soon Now (hopefully tonight).

- Doug Way