Squeak on iPAQs: auditory input/output

Brian Brown rbb at techgame.net
Sat Jun 7 16:12:36 UTC 2003

On Friday, Jun 6, 2003, at 19:26 America/Denver, Bilal Ahmed wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
>> Are you running on Linux or Win CE? I've run Squeak on several
>> different
>> handhelds (only on Win CE, rather Pocket PC 2002) and all you need to
>> do is
>> make sure that the you have the sound classes in your image and turn
>> on the
>> enableSounds preference. Then it works like a champ, recording,
>> music,etc.
>
> Windows CE. I've tried playing sounds and they work fine. Thanks. I'm
> still having trouble with recording sounds, using the built-in
> microphone
> on the iPAQ. I know that sound is getting recorded in Squeak (if I
> play a
> sound file in the background and record in Squeak, I am able to capture
> the background sound), but I'm not sure how I can link this behaviour
> the microphone.

Hmm... I don't think I've tried using a recording source other than the
microphone... and I would guess by default you are not either. One easy
way to check is create a RecordingControlsMorph, press the record
button and watch the meter on the Morph as you make noise. If it is
moving in response to the noise level then the microphone is indeed
working. I don't know what sort of image you are using on the IPAQ, but
it might be easier to manipulate that image on the desktop to bring the
Morph up and then transfer it to the handheld. Also, (you've probably
checked this, but I have been bitten by it) make sure the input level
of the microphone in the WinCE system settings is turned all the way up.

Have fun!

Brian