[Q][magma] MaObjectSerializer documentation and usage

Rob Withers reefedjib at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 9 16:46:25 UTC 2003

hi Chris,

Magma is very cool.

I am looking at MaObjectSerializer for use in SqueakElib.  The
traversal protocol is great - I like it a lot.   Do you have any
writeups on how to customize one's own serializer?

I need the ability to "pass-by-proxy" by substituting a Descriptor
object for the pass-by-proxy object when serializing and I need to
substitute a handler object when I materialize a Descriptor.  Is there
a way to do substitutions based on the class of the object being
pickled, or let the serializer decide by callback, for each node in the
graph traversal?  This substitution test should also apply to the
rootObject being appended into the Serializer.  Anyway, I would need
the Serializer involved in any substitutions made, so I could control
the OIDs that I issue into the descriptors.

It would also be nice to change the encoding, but i think this is done
by changing the registered Buffer types - this seems more
straightforward than doing substitutions at the moment.

cheers,
Robert