[KCP] A question about SourceFileVersionString

Scott Wallace scott.wallace at squeakland.org
Mon Jun 9 21:22:12 UTC 2003

Hi Stephane,

When the SourceFileVersionString class-var was first introduced into
SystemDictionary, its initial value was probably set manually by Dan,
by his evalauting a do-it in an Inspector he'd opened on the
Smalltalk object.  Perhaps that's the "long long time ago" event
you're speculating about?

In any case, once that bootstrap happened manually, all subsquent
changes to the value of SourceFileVersionString have taken place
when, and only when, "Smalltalk condenseSources" is run.

Each time a formal "condenseSources" is officially run -- three times
in the history of Squeak, viz. September 1996 (v1), May 1998 (v2),
and February 2001 (v3) -- the person running it (historically Dan) is
prompted to supply a name for the newly condensed sources file.  A
new .sources file of that designated name is then written, and the
new name then resides in SourceFileVersionString for the next few
years...

All of which simply confirms what you already know  ;-)

Cheers,

  -- Scott