Problems with OSProcess/VMMaker/Balloon3D

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Mon Jun 9 21:29:38 UTC 2003

> So running OSProcess requires installing 3D support. More annoyingly,
> Balloon3D's download location isn't responding to http requests.
Yes, isn't it annoying to have all that complication?

Actually I can't quite see why OSProcess would need the vm code but you
might be right. The VM package needs the Balloon3D stuff for now because
of the pool dictioanary issue that we have been working on under the
thread 'Declarative Pools'.

If you want to try out a preliminary result of this work you can:-
a) load the extend declarative pools .sar (works with 'explain' etc)
from
http://sumeru.stanford.edu/tim/pooters/SqFiles/deltas/DeclarativePools-4.sar -
this will bring in the various 'simple' pools (ie not TextConstants with
the horrifying abuses of TextStyle etc).
b) load the matching vm code package
http://sumeru.stanford.edu/tim/pooters/SqFiles/deltas/VMCodePackage.10.cs.gz
c) load the revised (and awaiting approval by Andreas before we even
consider publishing it for general use) balloon plugin package
http://sumeru.stanford.edu/tim/pooters/SqFiles/deltas/Balloon3D-Plugins.
sar
This should produce a working VM maker system without having to load the
whole B3D package.

When SM1.1 is out we should be able to do a decent job of handling these
dependencies.

tim
Strange OpCodes: TIO: Take It Over