[Ann] Example group

Markus Gaelli gaelli at emergent.de
Tue Jun 10 20:36:03 UTC 2003

Daniel Vainsencher wrote:
> (...)
> * Maybe make class comments mandatory, and implement some automated
> check for this, so I don't forget it.
>
> What do you think?

* Make more examples and assertions

Examples would help us to understand code and
and to write tests.

So in addition to the KernelCleaningProject (KCP) and the
MorphCleaningProject  (MCP) I set up a wiki-page for an
Example group (Eg)

http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3248
--------------------------
Goals

Provide examples for most of the classes.

Vision

  If we had examples everywhere, it would be much easier to

	- test code
  	- understand code
  	- type check code
  	- compose new code in a test-driven style

Howto

  Create a category on the class-side called *Eg-example-objects
  Create your example, stored in a method exampleFoo
  Send the changeset to the list as an enhancement [Enh]

Example

	TextUrl class >> exampleSqueak
		^self new url: 'http://www.squeak.org'

	Text class >> exampleSqueakLink
		^self string: 'Squeak!' attribute: TextURL exampleSqueak

	TextMorph class >> exampleSqueakLink
		"self exampleSqueakLink openInWorld"

		^self new contents: Text exampleSqueakLink

And soon you also find out (manually though), that you are asked if
you want to open this link in a web-browser, but there is none anymore
:-/

So please, join us and let us code for making
the code more understandable and testable.
It's easy...

Cheers,

Markus