Problems with OSProcess/VMMaker/Balloon3D

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Tue Jun 10 21:21:31 UTC 2003

Daniel Vainsencher <danielv at netvision.net.il> wrote:

> Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu> wrote:
> > The VM package needs the Balloon3D stuff for now because
> > of the pool dictioanary issue that we have been working on under the
> > thread 'Declarative Pools'
> I don't understand this point and I'm curious. We have external plugins,
> AFAIU, exactly so that a VM is independent of it's plugins. Why should
> building a VM require loading the code for all or specific plugins at
> all?
Well, I did say 'for now' and that is because we didn't get everything
right first time around. You could, strictly speaking, generate a VM
without the B3D stuff being installed as long as you didn't expect to
generate the B3D plugin. However, I've not noticed a great deal of usage
outside the 'start VMMAker, make all (ex|in)ternal, press go' pattern so
I didn't bother to be too explicit about the details.

tim
..... REALITY.SYS Corrupted - Unable to recover Universe