About www.squeak.org web page

Russell Allen russell.allen at firebirdmedia.com
Wed Jun 11 00:38:43 UTC 2003

Hi all,

As the person who was responsible for (long ago) creating the squeak.org
look, I fully agree that it needs an update.  I always intended to update
it, but lately have been rather busy trying to find a job :(  If any
professional web designers are out there and want to create something new,
please do!

That said, the "crappy clock" on the front page was meant to be an example
of the out-of-the-box abilities of Squeak to manipulate images, truetype
fonts etc.  If it looks crappy, then maybe we need to update the look of
Squeak as well as the website ;)

On a more serious note, when designing any new squeak.org, some thought
needs to be given to the website's purpose.

Most up to date content is found on the swiki - squeak.org has become
somewhat of a bottleneck, with changes being reliant on the spare time of
the responsible person.  Redoing the look of the site will not fix that
problem and the person doing the redesign needs to carefully think about
what content should be included.

My personal suggestions are to only include:
    + introduction
    + tour of squeak abilities
    + download page and licence
    + links to swiki (where real content is) and mailing list (where real
discussion occurs)

(in other words, not to go much beyond what is there, just make sure that
the information is better organised and the swiki has higher priority, and
maybe remove much of the stuff under the "documentation" heading).

Anyway, go for it!

Russell