[VM][LINUX][DEBIAN] Building

Alexander Lazarević Alexander at Lazarevic.de
Wed Jun 11 08:49:44 UTC 2003

Am Montag, 9. Juni 2003 14:55 schrieb Lex Spoon:
> I had forgetten there was still a "debian" directory on SourceForge.
> That directory is historic at this point, as you've observed.

By the existence of the debian directory in CVS I was mislead to believe, that
these were the current debian packaging files. So no wonder I had the
problems I described.

> I have been seriously sidetracked from updating the Debian packages for
> various reasons.  In particular, I lost a lot of time fiddling with
> Ian's 3.5 release.  It builds fine (after some tweaking) but it crashes
> on at least some image versions.  I get crashes no matter whether I use
> gcc 2.95 or 3.x .

I haven't heavily tested the 3.5 vm I build, but I haven't seen any crashes so
far.

> If you or someone else wants to maintain the Debian packages that would
> be fine with me.

You saying this makes me believe, that my criticism came across in a wrong
way. As I said before in this mail, I tried to use something that is outdated
and so I had problems with it. My original mail was intended as some kind of
raising a flag and saying "That doesn't work for me. What am I doing wrong?
Have others seen that behavior too?" instead of, as it might came across,
saying "y0u 4ll sUcK!!". (Sending the right signals in real life is hard
enough, let alone in virtual email space. So setting this point straight
might be a good idea even if it might not be necessary.)
Tim, Bert, you and others updated me on the current situation of the squeak
building process and so after a somehow rough reentry on squeak planet I'm
building one vm after the other. :)
Just let me say that I would still use the vm from the current debian
packages, because they installed fine and worked very well. But I have the
need for a modified JoystickTabletPlugin, so I got into this vm building
business.

Alex

--
"Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win
or lose; it's how drunk you get."  -- Homer