(rather) Strange method names

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Wed Jun 11 14:34:37 UTC 2003

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 15:39:05 +0200 "rrobbes" <rrobbes at etu.info.unicaen.fr> wrote:
>While using the magic Alt-q combination, I encoutered the following
>method name :
>
>starLogoTreesbosfcedppplppppttwssdlgrsttdt0
>(that was a frightening experience :-) )
>
>Upon further investigation, it appears that there are a bunch
>of such methods with weird name in the method category
>conversion of the class SmartRefStream.
>
>There don't seem to be senders of those methods.
>Does anyone knows what they're useful for ?

These methods are called from SmartRefStream>>mapClass: when it encounters an unknown class while importing some objects. The imported class description will include the class name, the names of all instance variables and the class version. By concatenating the class name, the first letter of each ivar and the class version, a reasonably unique identifier is formed. If SmartRefStream has a method by that name, that method will provide a new class to use in place of the one specified in the file.

Cheers,
Bob