I'm looking for a few good benchmarks...

Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Wed Jun 11 17:28:48 UTC 2003

  Aaron,

> What am I bothering the list for? I'm looking for a benchmarks.  While I'd
> like to provide a lot in this suite, I'd also like the input of those out
> there regarding which of these benchmarks would be the most meaningful as
> general indicators of Squeak performance.

  I don't have too much to say about "meaningfulness", but, for
instance, you can measure the memcpy equivalent speed by doing:

  f _ Form extent: 224 at 224 depth: 16.
  n timesRepeat: [
    f fillColor: Color blue.
  ].

If you don't mind about read and write difference and just do:

  f _ Form extent: 224 at 224 depth: 16.
  g _ Form extent: 224 at 224 depth: 16.
  n timesRepeat: [
    f displyOn: g.
  ].

Then the important one is display speed:

  n timesRepeat: [
    Display forceToScreen: (0 at 0 extent: 224 at 224).
  ].

The alphaBlend compbination rule might be interesting to test.

  The GreenBook benchmark has some more fundamental benchmarks.  You
might want to take a look at it.

-- Yoshiki