[UPDATES] the last update is completly stoned

Stephen Pair stephen at pairhome.net
Wed Jun 11 18:42:42 UTC 2003

Tim Rowledge wrote:

>Daniel Vainsencher <danielv at netvision.net.il> wrote:
>

>>SMTPClient. Anybody have any ideas about whether MailSender should
>>remember passwords? this could easily remain in an image you send
>>someone...
>>

>Ifit's going to remember passwords it should be in a file (encrypted
>with one of the many encryption packages we have available) and the
>image should forget it during the shutdown phase. The mailsender can
>check for a password, check for the file if none exists and ask the user
>if no file exists.
>
>tim
>--
>Tim Rowledge, tim at sumeru.stanford.edu, http://sumeru.stanford.edu/tim
>Useful random insult:- Her modem lights are on but there's no carrier.

How about implementing a key ring for storing all sorts of userids,
passwords, crypto keys, etc?  A key ring can exist in two states: normal
and encrypted serialized.  If an attempt is made to access an
encrypted/serialized key ring, an exception would prompt the user for a
decryption key that when supplied would be used to decrypt the
serialized key ring and if successful would then reconstruct the key
ring objects from decrypted bytes.  Then the original message could be
performed on the key ring.

When the image is snapshotted (or whenever the user requests), all key
ring objects in the image could be serialized and encrypted and a become
operation could swap out all the key ring objects for their encrypted
serialized forms.  Thus, an image saved on disk would never contain
unencrypted key ring objects.  An extension to this could be to
externalize all the encrypted serialized key rings to a file that goes
with an image...you would then have:

    Squeak.image
    Squeak.changes
    Squeak.keyrings

On snapshot, all keyrings are serialized, encrypted, and dumped out to
the keyrings file and the image is purged of any keyrings.  Only a stub
object that attempts to load the set of keyrings from the keyrings file
is left in the image.

- Stephen