[Challenge]

Ivan Tomek ivan.tomek at acadiau.ca
Wed Jun 11 19:12:26 UTC 2003

Hi,

I have just seen a demo of Silicon Chalk (see
http://www.siliconchalk.com/index.htm). It's a lecture (voice, any
application, etc.) recording, question-and-answer/polling/note-taking/etc.
supporting tool that, to me, is the first educational application that has a
chance of growing and becoming useful.

Its main limitations are that it

- is restricted to Windows
- is not open source, making it, in my opinion, impossible to keep up with
possible extensions, customizations, etc.
- is written in C++

It seems to me that this is a perfect application area for those who might
want to try to apply Squeak's features and create a 'killer application'
proving its worth. I do not volunteer to implement it :( but there may be
some volunteers or students waiting for challenging projects or theses that
might make it really desirable for people to learn, use, and advance Squeak.

Ivan