[Q] How to suppress modal dialogs while loading code updates?

Markus Gaelli gaelli at emergent.de
Wed Jun 11 22:20:32 UTC 2003

Am Dienstag, 10.06.03 um 20:56 Uhr schrieb John W. Sarkela:

> 1. Raise a UserInterfaceNotification exception in the implementation
> of #inform: and friends and make the default handler action to be the
> current implementation.
>
> 2. Use the Squeak World Tour strategy of having a current UI handler
> object that handles all UI requests. For example, MorphicUIHandler,
> MVCUIHandler, RemoteUIHandler, HostWidgetUIHandler,
> TranscripterUIHandler, or even NullUIHandler. At first these classes
> may only handle basic UI modal functionality, ultimately, they would
> have a protocol that handles all UI creation and binding >
> functionality.

Thanks for your suggestions, I don't like exceptions to much, at least
not in this case,
and the second solution meant a major refactoring, which I do not
want to pursue at the moment.

And I came to the conclusion, that the only modal dialogs / menus, we
should be
able to skip automatically, are the ones which only _inform_ the user,
in other words, only have one entry, like "ok", or "proceed" etc.

I was looking for a good location to store the fact, whether one wants
skip this kind of modal info-boxes automatically and decided to store
that
as a preference.

I also changed

PopupMenu >> startUpWithCaption: captionOrNil at: location
allowKeyboard: aBoolean
See also my other mails ([ENH] and [TEST])

This seemed to me to be the simplest thing to do at the moment, but I am
certainly open for other suggestions.

Cheers,

Markus