[KCP] Potential problems with the change changeset numberKCP-0084 and KCP-0085

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Thu Jun 12 09:58:27 UTC 2003

On Thursday, June 12, 2003, at 09:24 AM, Noury Bouraqadi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The problem with seems to be solved (change 85 is loaded).
> But, there are two problems :
> 1) a bootstrap problem: change85 includes a new version of
> ChangeSorter>>newChangeFromStream:named:, but loading this change make
> use of the older version which send a deprecated message...

But noury you did not read well. I cannot change the byte-codes of the
method  while loading
because this is the exact method that I'm modifying.

Here is what I wrote:

Move SystemChanges functionality from SystemDictionary to ChangeSet
class
  Pay attention the two Changesets should be loaded one after the one.
When loading them you will get a SystemChanges is still referenced.
This is normal. We get rid of it after. So do not move it to Undeclared
(I should retry because I always forget). Then you will have a
deprecated method opening a debugger, proceed and the rest will work.
You deserve an explanation: because this is a bit tricky. We cannot
avoid that since we are modifying the system that produces the call to
the deprecated method itself. During the load the method is changed to
be deprecated, its callers too but the code currently executing the
load is still the old one. When the changeset is loaded the old code is
used. This is only at the end of the load that the new code is in place
and that the next time the deprecated method won't be called again.

> 2) methods for deprecation aren't there...

Send me a private email on that, because they are there, proceed the
debugger and the changes are installed.

> BTW, I use a the image of squeak 3.5 as mentionned in the KCP page.
>  I tried to work with squeak 3.6 build 5235 (it includes deprecation
> methods), but change loading fails in the early stages (Stewards tools
> use HtmlParser which is not there)...

Please read all the previous thread on migrating KCP 3.5 to KCP 3.6.
because classes have been removed from the system in parallel to our
refactoring.

Stef