Sketchpad in Squeak

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at squeakland.org
Fri Jun 13 03:38:49 UTC 2003

Alan Borning did a Sketchpad influenced advance on constraint
programming in 1977 in Smalltalk-76. This code is around and several
people have come close to getting it going again in Squeak.

"Hard" is one of those interesting words. Ivan's Sketchpad thesis is
gettable from MIT in pdf form, and it is quite impressive even by
today's standards. 40+ years later it should be a nice master's
thesis for some supergradstudent. But it would be still be a fair
amount of work from scratch, even though Ivan had to program even the
line drawing on the TX-2, he had to figure out, design, and build in
macroassembler on a half MIP machine he could only use about 3 hours
a day ..... A fabulous Squeak programmer who understands just how
Sketchpad worked (this is known) could probably replicate the
original Sketchpad in 1-2 months of work (somebody please prove me
too pessimistic). OTOH, the "math" and general object model of
Sketchpad was very (profoundly) simple, so a very clean approach to
what it was trying to do, coupled with powerful computing so no
serious optimizations would be required, could be a lot simpler for
an expert. Doing the iconic UI (the original one) well would still be
a bit of a challenge....

Cheers,

Alan

------