Tablet PCs

David Faught dave_faught at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 13 15:50:15 UTC 2003

I have lately been playing with a couple of ancient tablet PCs that I
got cheaply off EBay.  Now, I am hooked and hungry to look for a newer,
more powerful tablet PC to do some serious Squeak'ing with.

There are a couple of questions that leap to mind because of this
experience though:

1. Why has the mouse remained so popular when it's clearly inferior to
just directly pointing (even with a stylus)?  Surely the technology of
the digitizer has gotten much cheaper over the years.  It can't be just
a cost issue anymore.

2.  Why does the Squeak GUI depend on 3 mouse buttons, when most styli
(?) have only 1 or 2?  It is desireable (to me anyway) to have full
function of the tablet PC without an attached keyboard, and use the
keyboard as an optional enhancement.  Squeak seems to be designed to
require the keyboard.  Maybe I need to look at Genie more closely.
Does Genie answer this question?