Tablet PCs

Jim.Gettys at hp.com Jim.Gettys at hp.com
Fri Jun 13 21:55:05 UTC 2003

Touch screens are (relatively) expensive.

Touch screens significantly reduce the brightness and contrast of the screen.
This translates directly to signifcant power consumption as well.

Touch screens get touched (fingerprints).

Touch screens your hand gets in the way of the screen.

So they are not unalloyed wonderful things, at least with current technology.

Understand that I use them on iPAQ's all the time.  But they are
not unalloyed wonderful things.  You use them where you don't have viable
alternatives right now....  Tablet PC's are in this catagory; they
can be used when one hand is holding the device and the other using it..

If you could fix the cost and degredation of the screen problems, they'd
be alot more popular on laptops.....
                                - Jim

--
Jim Gettys