Fun article

Anthony Hannan ajh18 at cornell.edu
Sat Jun 14 05:27:13 UTC 2003

Steve Dekorte <steve at dekorte.com> wrote:
> Also, I'm not sure what they mean by "dataflow" communication here.

They probably mean communication through dataflow variables.  I learned
about these from a good book that Andrew Cooke recommended on this list
about a month ago:

Concepts, Techniques, and Models of Computer Programming (Draft)
by Peter Van Roy and Seif Haridi
http://www.info.ucl.ac.be/~pvr/

In short, a dataflow variable can only be assigned once.  Before that it
is unbound.  Any thread that reads an unbound variable will wait until
the variable is bound by another thread.  Thus providing syncronized
dataflow from one thread to another, automatically.

Cheers,
Anthony