Tablet PCs

Peter Crowther peter at crowther.demon.co.uk
Sun Jun 15 13:08:42 UTC 2003

> From: [...] Tim Rowledge
> A touchscreen with a typical monitor would be a dreadful ergonomic
> situation; lifting your hand ~8-12" on a regular basis woudl be a
> serious strain over a working day. A monitor 'set into' a desk might be
> better but then the neck angle for viewing it would be bad.

The desktop PC will match its name for me when the *entire desk* is the
display and input device.  I'd settle for 300dpi greyscale, but would prefer
300dpi colour - on a 4'x3' surface.  I'd also use a virtual keyboard
displayed on a portion and being able to tap my fingers on that surface to
enter paragraphs - especially if I could move and resize the virtual keys so
that I could gradually make the keyboard fit my typing.  Even better would
be an A0 (1 square metre in a 1:1.4 aspect ratio, for the Americans out
there :-) drawing board, as that could be (a) tilted and (b) used as a
presentation device.

Until then, we're stuck with these weird output devices like CRTs and LCDs
whose size and positioning is constrained by the characteristics of the
device, not the user.  Ho hum...

		- Peter