Traits update

Nathanael Schärli n.schaerli at gmx.net
Mon Jun 16 06:26:28 UTC 2003

Hi Brent

> Nathanael, when you have time, could you post an update on
> the status to Traits?  How is Traits version 2 coming along?

Well, the model of Traits v2 is already pretty stable now. However,
until now it just exists on paper/in my head and I haven't started to
implement it. However, I will start with this soon!

> Are you still doing your prototyping in Squeak?

Yes, I'm definitely going to do a prototype of Traits v2 in Squeak and I
really can't wait to start...

> Do you think that the KCP changes will enable you to keep working on
> Traits within Squeak?

Yes! The KCP changes are essential for doing my future Traits work in
Squeak. In fact, my work on the first traits prototype was the trigger
to start with KCP. There is just so much stuff in the kernel that made
it very hard to actually extend/change/improve it. KCP now takes care of
this and this will be a big help! It simply would not be possible to
have a stable Traits implementation for Squeak without this. (Of course
we could have done the KCP work "silently" as part of the stable Traits
implementation, but I like it better if it is separated out so that
everyone can benefit from it, even if one does not want to load Traits).

Because there have been many request to get a stable version of Traits
v1 for Squeak, I'll now start working on this in parallel to the KCP.
I'll keep you updated about the progress...

Nathanael