Multiple Dispatch

Brian T Rice water at tunes.org
Mon Jun 16 19:45:19 UTC 2003

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Stephane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi lex
>
> I worked with CLOS during 4 years and I did not find the advantage of
> multi dispatch. You know this is like multiple inheritance you need that
> in 5% of the case and it makes the language much more complex for the
> rest 95%
>
> Stef

Which is why we've made sure in Slate that the dispatch overhead only
scales up from the normal overhead with the more complicated usages
(which, again, is rare). Encapsulating it within message-sends, though,
means that inlining and other optimizations are more easily done.

And we don't use "generic functions": no compromises here. :P

--
Brian T. Rice
LOGOS Research and Development