Opening a .PICT file in Squeak 3.5

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Mon Jun 16 22:29:44 UTC 2003

On Monday 16 June 2003 12:40 am, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:
> Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> replied:
> 	It sounds like it's not opening the file correctly. Perhaps this
> is due to the various fileExists problems. As you noted, it seems
> to be returning nil when the file is opened.
>
> It turns out that it's nothing to do with the file being a PICT
> file.  When the file is copied to the hard disc, Squeak finds it.
> The problem is that Squeak can't open *anything* on the ZIP disc.

Hmm... Wonder why that is. What version of the VM are you using?

What happens when you try to open the file read-only, like:

FileDirectory readOnlyFileNamed: 'Zip Disk:Fred'

or whatever it's called?

> 	I didn't know that Squeak was a Macintosh program.
>
> It's a program.  It runs on the Macintosh platform.
> That makes it a Macintosh program.
> It is _also_ a UNIX program, a Windows program, an Acorn program,
> a PDA program, ....

Good point.

Well, we've added PPM and XPM (Unix-only, as far as I know) image
formats already. Maybe also PBM, I forget.

Time to do PICT!

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com