Squeak is dog slow after playing sound

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Tue Jun 17 00:28:46 UTC 2003

On Monday 16 June 2003 01:45 pm, Martin Kuball wrote:
> Thanks for the answer. I worked. But I don't intend to change my
> audio system. I would rather try to dig down and try to find the
> real cause. Maybe with some help from the list I will eventually
> get there.  If I have more questions or found something I will
> report here.

Are you using something like Gnome or KDE that provides an audio daemon (like esd or artsd)?
If so, they probably have the /dev/dsp locked up.

Try starting Squeak using esddsp or artsdsp.
Here's how I start Squeak on my RedHat system:

#!/bin/sh
artsdsp /usr/local/bin/squeak -display unix:0 -swapbtn -xshm -memory 90M "$@" &

--
Ned Konz