Opening a .PICT file in Squeak 3.5

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Jun 19 07:26:49 UTC 2003

Now I wonder what I'm going to break here.

because

FileDirectory default fullNameFor: 'fum:foobar.txt'
returns
'Mac OS X:Users:Shared:Squeak3.5a-5180
Folder:Squeak3.5-MacOS-Full:fum:foobar.txt'
but really of course we want the file foobar.txt on volume fum.
to refer to the subdirectory we really need to say
FileDirectory default fullNameFor: ':fum:foobar.txt'

So how much depends right now on saying 'fum:foobar.txt' and getting a
subdirectory in the working directory...
Sigh...
Not being about to open the real fum:foobar.txt is of course a real
showstopper.

Ok in going back and looking at the history perhaps it's not too much
of an issue since Squeak 3.2 changeset 4889  works ok and I see the
change was introduced the first week of Dec 2002.

This was to fix:
"The SARInstaller didn't work on the Connectors package because it
wasn't able to make the required subdirectories"
but I see isAbsolute: was hacked a bit more to to it's final state.

So unless the folks in the back yell to much I'm going to change it so
that
FileDirectory default fullNameFor: 'fum:foobar.txt'
assumes fum is a volume name

===